July 6, 2010

Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies

The Significant Other (SO) has been away this week, and I have a confession to make: I really, reeeeeally enjoy eating while he isn't around. Its nothing against him; I'm just free to make whatever I want, when I want, how I want. I don't have to worry about making something too fatty (he is an 80's baby. His mother fed him lo-fat and no-fat everything.) or too vegetarian (the man loves his meat.) Also, I get to indulge on desserts :)
These brownies are sinful. They are everything I think a good brownie should be... dense, chocolatey, but not overly sweet. Mmmmm, betcha can' eat just one... I know I can't!


Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies


(From Apartment Therapy via Food Network Canada)

1 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
3 large eggs, at room-temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

The original recipe includes a ganache frosting which I skipped, in the interest of being more portable.


Preheat oven to 325F. Grease an 8x8 pan and set aside.
Melt melt butter in microwave in a glass mixing bowl. Stir in chocolate and mix until creamy - I stuck everything back in the microwave for 30 seconds so the chocolate was nice and melty.

Stir the sugar into mixture until combined. Microwave for 30 seconds on high, then stir until shiny.

Mix in marscapone cheese, vanilla, eggs and beat until smooth.

Sift together the flour, salt and cocoa. Stir into chocolate mixture just until combined.

Pour batter into pan and smooth top to ensure even baking. Bake for 40 minutes until tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

No comments: