July 1, 2010

Cabbage, Carrot, and Jicama Slaw

I'm a particular eater.

I don't like seafood. I don't like mushrooms. Before I moved to California and had real avocado, I didn't like those either. The list goes on. But I'm lucky enough to like a lot of foods. I enjoy eating most fruits and vegetables, most meats, most anything. And as long as its not too gross or strange, I'm comfortable trying new things.

The Mister is not so open minded. While he will try new things, even more so than me, there are a lot of things that he's tried once and has sworn to never eat again. Things like corn chowder, garlic, Indian food, cabbage, and chicken thighs are just not things he will incorporate into his diet. But I don't think he dislikes as much as he thinks he does, and a small part of my meal planning/cooking goes toward preparing the things he won't eat in a way that I think he will like. Sometimes he refuses what I make altogether, but a lot of times he ends up not hating it, if not enjoying it.

This slaw is one of those experiments. He doesn't eat cabbage often and refuses to eat cole slaw at all, but I think that what he really doesn't like is the mayo. I wanted to make a slaw with ingredients I know he likes, with a oil and vinegar based sauce, and see what he thought about it. This one is a little Asian-Mexican fusion, with both cabbage and jicama, and made a little spicy with sriracha. I like it... but we will see what the Mister thinks :)


Cabbage, Carrot, and Jicama Slaw

1/2 head green cabbage
3 carrots
1 medium jicama
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp sriracha
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbps dry cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
handful raisins

Chop cabbage, carrots, and jicama into small strips. Place in large bowl.

Whisk together oil and vinegar. Whisk in seasonings and pour over vegetables, mixing well. Let sit for a few hours to let the flavors mellow and blend.

Add raisins just before serving, if desired.

No comments: