June 9, 2010

Horchata

This was a fail.

Horchata is one of my favorites. Any time I go out for Mexican, particularly at a small roadside stand, you can bet I'm ordering a horchata. So when I made my Cinco de Mayo feast it was an easy to decide what we would be drinking.

I followed this recipe, roughly. I'm sure its a perfectly good recipe, but my finished product was chalky and bland. I strained it a number of times through a cheesecloth, but for whatever reason I just couldn't shake that ricey taste. Better luck next time?

Horchata

1 1/4 cups white rice
2 cinnamon sticks
1 cup almonds
4 cups water
sugar to taste
1 tsp vanilla

Place rice and almonds in a large container with a tight lid. Cover with water and stir to combine. Cover and let sit overnight.


Add sugar and, using a blender, blend in small batches until smooth. Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer, lined with cheesecloth, into a bowl. Discard solids.

Stir in vanilla, then transfer to a pitcher and chill in the refrigerator. Serve over ice.

No comments: