June 10, 2010

Bubble and Squeak

I first found Bubble and Squeak thanks to a good friend. We have a Thursday tradition of meeting at a small pub in AZ for trivia, karaoke, and cider - and now food. One night I had come without eating dinner first, and though I wasn't thrilled to have to eat typical English Pub food, I think I made out quite well.

Bubble and Squeak is a traditional English dish that's generally made from leftovers and served with a big breakfast. (I like mine best late at night and after a few drinks - its great drunkfood.) Its silly name reportedly comes from the sounds it makes while frying cooking. Oh, yeah - its not health food :)


Bubble and Squeak

1/4 head cabbage
2 cups mashed potatoes
Butter for frying
Salt and Pepper to taste

I started with leftover potatoes and a wilting head of cabbage.

Bring small pot of salted water to boil. Roughly chop the cabbage into bite sized pieces and boil until soft, about 6 minutes. Drain well.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frypan. Saute potatoes and cabbage together with seasonings until edges are crispy. Some make small patties and fry like latkes; I like mine in a mash. Either way its yummy.

No comments: