August 10, 2010

Grilled Pizza

I've mentioned before that I feel very strongly about pizza. Since moving to California I've been on a quest to find the perfect pie, either in a restaurant or at home. So far I've found a few good places and have made a few good slices, but haven't found anything that measures up to Brooklyn standards.

One of the biggest obstacles to overcome when making pizza at home is the heat. While most home ovens will reach only 500 degrees or so, optimum pizza-making temperatures are 700 to 800 or more. To overcome this home cooks have gotten creative with their ovens, either lining the inside with bricks or forcing the oven into self clean mode. Another option is to fire up the grill and cook pizza over an open flame, which I tried tonight.

Grilling pizza is a little tricky only because its a little more labor-intensive while cooking. Instead of throwing the pizza in the oven and forgetting about it, the dough is cooked plain, flipped, topped, and cooked some more. I made two types of pizza tonight: one with pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese and the other with pesto, zucchini, and goat cheese. Both were unbelievable. The dough got nice and fluffy and the toppings were perfectly cooked. I had never made grilled pizza before tonight and I can assure you, I'll be making it again soon.

No comments: