August 17, 2010

Dulce de Leche Ice Cream

I'm not kidding when I tell you I'm on a serious ice cream binge. Since I got the ice cream maker, every flavor I come across is made into mental ice cream on the spot. Unfortunately for my waistline, many of these are also being made into real-life ice cream as well.

I made dulce de leche brownies a few weeks ago for a coworker's going away potluck and I've had some extra dulce de leche sitting in my fridge since then. Rather than attack it with a spoon (like I have been) I found a way to turn it into a caramelly, soft, delicious ice cream. Which I promptly attacked with a spoon. I can't win.


Dulce de Leche Ice Cream

Adapted from here

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 pound dulce de leche (about 1 2/3 cups)
1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Bring milk and cream just to a boil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, then remove from heat and whisk in dulce de leche until dissolved. Whisk in vanilla and transfer to a metal bowl.

Chill mixture well, then freeze in ice cream maker until almost firm. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 1 hour.

No comments: