September 5, 2010

Apricot Cherry Clafoutis

A few weeks ago a patient brought in some apricots from his tree. He brought several large bags, and any of the staff who wanted some had more apricots than they knew what to do with, including me. After a quick search on the internet (and a trip to the store for some cherries) I knew exactly what I would be making: clafoutis.

I'd had my eye on clafoutis recipes since this time last summer, when cherries were in season. I never did get around to making it last year, mostly because I ate all the cherries on their own before I had a chance to. By using apricots and cherries I had plenty of fruit for the clafoutis, and could still snack on cherries to my stomach's content.

Apricot Cherry Clafoutis

Adapted from here

6 large or 8 small fresh apricots, pitted and cut into chunks
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted
1 1/4 cups milk (low-fat or whole)
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
Powdered sugar for serving

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a pie plate with cooking spray and put the apricots and cherries into the pie plate.

Whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract. Add the flour and salt and whisk until smooth. Pour the batter over the fruit and slip the dish into the hot oven.

Bake the clafoutis 45 minutes or until it is lightly browned around the edges and the custard is set - it will still be somewhat jiggly, but it should no longer be liquid in the center. Remove the pan from the oven and let the clafoutis cool to room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

No comments: